The Muffin Man? Who lives on Dury Lane?
I love that scene from Shrek.
I finally got my hands on some coconut sugar (thanks Frank & Bi!). The sugar is pretty sweet, with an interesting flavour, almost maple like. Because it’s not as sweet as regular sugar, I decided the first time I use it would be in something that doesn’t need to be too sweet. You got it; muffins! Specifically banana muffins.
I have had incidents where I forgot to add sugar to banana muffins. The texture was way too chewy and the tops were kind of soft, but since the banana’s are very sweet the taste was still good. So when it came to my coconut sugar muffins, I figured 1/4 a cup of sugar would be plenty. The muffins came out perfect. They were just sweet enough, they had a lovely fluffy texture inside, and a nice crispy top. Just how I like them!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine bananas, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Make a hole in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients in.
- Fold together. The batter will be a little clumpy looking. Do not beat, or you’ll end up with tough muffins.
- Pour into greased muffin tin and bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.