I’ve been trying to cut back on sugar lately (it’s not working but I’m trying). My weakness is baked goods; a biscotti with my latte; a muffin for breakfast; a gigantic piece of mocha ice cream pie drizzled with caramel after drinks…
So I spent some time thinking about what could satisfy my cravings but still keep my blood sugar steady. At first I thought it was hopeless, but then it hit me; scones! I love scones, their slightly crumbly yet somehow buttery texture goes perfectly with a nice cup of tea. The fresh blueberry in these add some moisture.
Blueberry Buttermilk Scones
Yields 12 scones.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 egg
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add butter. Using your finger tips or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until it has a crumbly texture.
- Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until the dough just comes together.
- Mix in blueberries gently.
- Using your hands, make a large ball with the dough, then roll it out until it’s about an inch thick.
- Using a round cookie cutter that has been floured, cut the dough into rounds and place on a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg yolk and brush on scones.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 12 to 15 minutes.