One year ago today I wrote my first post for this blog. When I started I really never thought anyone would read it. For a couple of months I was writing just for myself and the two other people I had told about the blog. Then I discovered Foodbuzz, and was introduced to a wide world of food bloggers. They were kind and supportive, and I like to think that some of the people I’ve “met” through Foodbuzz are my friends.
When I started writing the blog, I had a hard time coming up with what to say. What is it people want to read? Then I came across this quote:
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. ~Cyril Connolly
It helped me realize that writing for some imaginary potential audience won’t work. This blog is a place for me to share my experiences with food, recipes I enjoy, and the occasional anecdote about my day. It’s an escape from the day to day more than anything else (sometimes I even write my posts while at work when I need to clear my head; sshh, don’t tell anyone!)
I’ve been fortunate enough to get a few subscribers and regular readers. I want to thank all of you for reading my ramblings and sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments are always very much appreciated!
My original plan was to remake the Amaretto Cheese Tart I wrote about in my first post. An unexpected condo visit on Sunday changed my plans. Instead I’m sharing these Banana Nutella Muffins with you. They seem fitting since muffins are probably the baked good I make the most.
I was hoping for more of a Nutella swirl look to them, but I over-mixed the batter and lost the swirl. It’s ok, they still taste great, and the Nutella drizzle on top completely makes up for the lack of swirl inside.
Don’t worry, I’ll make the tart soon!
Banana Nutella Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (anything but fat free)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Nutella, plus more for drizzling
- 1 ripe but firm banana for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking powder and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed banana, butter and egg together. Stir in the yogurt and vanilla.
- Mix the wet into the dry until just combined. Stir in the Nutella.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin. Top each muffin with thin slices of banana.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Once done, cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with Nutella.