Happy New Year!
I’m not big on new years resolutions. I see no reason to hold off on doing something you truly want to do, so waiting till January 1st doesn’t work for me. I’m sure the reason most resolutions are not kept past January 3rd is that they tend to be things people don’t want to do.
That’s not to say I don’t see an advantage to the new year. It’s a time to reflect, look back on what was and move forward. If your year was good, you can build on it. If your year was crappy, well then you get begin all over again. A new year gives us a chance to clean the slate and start fresh.
Personally I found 2011 to be kind of meh. It was year I spent waiting, and because of that I feel almost that it was a lost year. It had ups and downs along the way, but looking back the downs outweighed the ups. So I’m looking forward to 2012 and all of the opportunities it has to offer.
I’m starting the year off with this fresh start drink, a rosemary scented grapefruit cocktail. The fresh squeezed grapefruit is a nod to the healthy living many have promised to adhere to this month. And the rosemary sugar syrup and booze are there to throw resolutions out the window. Feel free to use store bought grapefruit juice, but keep in mind that they are often sweetened so you may have to cut back on the sugar in the syrup. Also, if you are on medication that doesn’t play well with grapefruit .. drink something else please.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 long sprigs of rosemary
- 4 cups fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 oz vodka
- 2 oz Triple Sec
- Make the rosemary syrup: In a small saucepan heat the sugar and water until the sugar has completely dissolved. Add the rosemary and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a pitcher, mix the rosemary syrup with the grapefruit juice, vodka and Triple Sec.
- Serve over ice with a rosemary “stirrer”.