I’ve had a couple of conversations recently about how hard it is to meet men. Where do you go? It’s pretty much impossible to have a conversation in a bar. Online dating is like looking for a needle in haystack. I already know all of my friends friends, although I could go to the friends friends friends level. At one point I thought I might meet a man in the elevators of my office building. There was this really cute guy I’d see often who would smile at me. Then one day I saw him in a restaurant with his girlfriend and realized he’s just an elevator flirt.
Both of the friends I talked to about this had already come to the conclusion that the only place to meet a man is the grocery store. There are some rules to keep in mind though.
- A man in a big grocery store in the burbs is most likely already in a relationship; small urban markets are the way to go.
- There is nothing to talk about in the canned soup aisle other than the amount of sodium in the cans; if you spot a cute guy there try and catch him again in the beer aisle.
- A man who only has beer and chips in his cart might be fun, but ultimately I believe the relationship would be unsatisfying.
- The best spot to meet a man in the grocery store is the produce section. You can discuss weird looking greens, how to pick a ripe fruit, and if your lucky melons might get squeezed.
And that brings me to the recipe part of this post; watermelon salad. I considered doing a savoury version, as that seems to be the trend these days, but to me watermelon is a sweet treat to enjoy at the end of a long hot day. It’s Watermelon is quite sweet on its own so I used just a bit of honey to sweeten the salad and a little rum to make it extra delicious (booze always makes dessert better).
- 1/2 a medium watermelon
- 2 mangoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 oz rum
- Mint, finely chopped
- Using a melon baller, scoop out the watermelon and the mangoes into a medium bowl.
- In a glass, mix the lime juice, honey and rum together.
- Pour the line mixture over the fruit and toss with the mint.