My birthday is coming up later this week. I have what I would call a love hate relationship with birthdays, I hate getting older but looove getting presents. This year I’m feeling a little neutral about it though. I guess compared to the
stress/panic excitement of 30, 31 is just no big deal. Besides, one of my coworkers told me I look 27 the other day and I’m choosing to believe her.
Despite my neutral feelings, I will never pass up an opportunity for a treat. I still have a ton of sweets left over from Christmas so I decided to follow Sarah of The House Wife Diary‘s lead and create something out of them.
For Christmas I made Anna Olson’s Marzipan Cake. This cake was incredible, it was moist and tender with a lovely almond flavour. I replaced the lemon zest with orange, which went very well with the almond. I decided to use the leftover cake to make myself a mini trifle. Then I started thinking about all the sugar I’ve been eating and thought maybe I should tone it down. Traditionally a trifle has layers of cake, fruit, custard, and cream. I replaced the custard and whipped cream with greek yogurt. I left the yogurt unsweetened as the cake and jam I used were both quite sweet. If that’s too tangy for you, try sweetening it with a little honey.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup marzipan
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch round pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Cut the marzipan into chunks and beat into the butter mixture one piece at a time until its completely incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the zest and extracts.
- In separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the marzipan mixture, beating until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
Greek Yogurt Trifle
- Leftover marzipan cake
- Greek yogurt
- Raspberry jam
- Layer the cake, jam and yogurt into a tall glass or bowl. Let chill until ready to serve.