It tasted good too.
But this pie was a disaster from start to finish. It’s a chocolate pate sucré crust with a mixed berry filling and mascarpone cream topping.
The problems started with the crust. I planned on making it in a food processor, but for some reason it wouldn`t start. I couldn’t figure it out, everything was locked in properly. This didn’t hold me back though, I just made it by hand instead. I put the dough in the fridge to chill, and a few hours later I rolled out the dough. Or at least I tried to. It was impossible to roll. It kept sticking to the board and breaking into pieces. It quickly became to warm to manage, so I pressed it into the pie plate and let it chill over night.
The next morning I baked the crust and got to work on the filling. I followed the directions for the filling from this recipe, poured it into the crust and let it set for about 5 hours. At that point I was ready to put the mascarpone topping on. I whipped some cream then added some mascarpone to the cream and tried to whip them together. It became a clumpy mess. My mom told me to whip the mascarpone first, then add the whipped cream to the cheese. I asked her if I should start over, she said yes, so I did. Her method worked perfectly, but later she realized I had made two batches. I’m not sure what she thought I meant by start over, but apparently I could have fixed the first batch.
So at this point I put the cream on the pie. But the pie wasn’t even close to set. The weight of the cream caused the pie to overflow. I knew it would not be set in time to eat for dessert. When it came time to cut the pie, I was expecting a goopie mess, but I was not expecting the crust to stick to the pie plate.
It was a disaster.
At least it tasted good.
The next day the filling was set and the crust stopped sticking.