When tragedy strikes we feel the need to do something, anything, to make it better. Sometimes there are no actions that can be taken. All we can do is be there to comfort each other. The only thing that can make things better is time.
Comfort can come in many forms; kind words, a hug, or even a cookie (or two) with a tall glass of milk. These cookies were adapted from Martha Stewart’s Pumpkin cookies. I substituted unsweetened apple sauce for the pumpkin puree. Since apple sauce is much thinner than pumpkin puree, I strained the sauce with a coffee filter to get a thicker consistency. You could also try cooking the sauce down.
The cookies have a very cake like texture. The apple flavour came through very well, and was wonderfully complemented by the brown butter icing. One note on the icing, make sure to whip it well otherwise the butter will separate.
Apple Cinnamon Cookies with Brown Butter Icing
Makes approx. 48 cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp ginger
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce, strained
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes with an electric mixer). Mix in the eggs, followed by the apple sauce, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Add the flour, mixing till well combined. The batter will be quite thin.
- Spoon the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, making cookies approximately 1 inch rounds, spaced 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned and the tops spring back when pressed. Let cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Brown Butter Icing
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Put the powdered sugar in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the butter becomes golden brown and smells nutty. Pour the melted butter over the powdered sugar, making sure to scrape the brown butter bits in as well. Add the evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Use to ice cooled cookies.