In exactly seven months I will be living in my brand new condo. I went down to the construction site last week, the building is far from done but it is definitely a building. I’m getting pretty excited thinking about living there. I’ve been scoping out deals on line for all the things I need. I think I’ve got my couch and bed picked out, and I’m now moving on the colour schemes. What do you think of white, grey, and yellow?
I’m also getting really nervous. A downtown condo on my own is a huge deal financially. I’ve gone over the budget a million times, and even though I know I can do it I still worry. I’m good at worrying. I sometimes find myself stuck in a loop of “what ifs”. My latest solution is to give myself a firm action plan and then listen to Bob Marley. Every little thing is gonna be alright.
Of course the classic stress reliever is chocolate. This cake will calm me down even on my most anxious days. Thanks to the marzipan it’s dense and moist, and the almond flavour perfectly complements the chocolate. This recipe is also really easy to make, just be sure your ingredients are at room temperature so that the eggs and butter combine properly.
Chocolate Marzipan Cake
Adapted from Anna Olson
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 250 g marzipan
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- berries to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 10 inch springform pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Break the marzipan into pieces and mix into the butter mixture until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure they are well combined after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat into the butter mixture until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes then turn it out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until stiff, cover the cooled cake with cream. Garnish with berries.